From Toronto, Canada:

I am 38 years old, I am not overweight, I am not in one of the ethnic groups that have been mentioned as being at a high risk for diabetes, and I do not have a family history of diabetes, but I have been extremely thirsty, and, during a recent physical exam, sugar was found in my urine. Could my extreme thirst and high sugar in my urine mean that I am hyperglycemic without having diabetes? Do my symptoms lead to diabetes as the answer or could it be something else?

If you just had a physical and were found to have high sugar in your urine, I am surprised nothing was done. Basically, the answer is yes, you could very well have diabetes.

Go to your clinic again or go to another clinic/hospital and have a blood glucose test performed as soon as possible. If you let this go, you could become very, very ill.

[Editor's comment: If you have high blood sugar (hyperglycemia), you have diabetes. There's really not much else that will do it, except an unusual situation when there's temporary very severe bodily stress, that causes temporary high sugars (called stress hyperglycemia).

However, if you have high urine sugar levels, it's possible to have another rare disorder, called renal glycosuria. Blood sugar testing is mandatory to tell if positive testing for urine sugar is associated with high blood sugar (which is diabetes) or not (which is renal glycosuria). WWQ]