Question:

From Tigard, Oregon, USA:

We are planning to enroll our five year old daughter (who has had type 1 diabetes for a year and a half) in a private Spanish Immersion elementary school, and almost all the teachers are native speakers from outside the United States. Do you know where I might find educational materials about taking care of a child with type 1 diabetes at school, in Spanish?

Answer:

Check with your local endocrinologist. I know the ones in my area carry "school survival information" in Spanish! If that does not help, call your local American Diabetes Association affiliate.

CMB

Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:

You can start your search by going to On-line Diabetes Resources Part 9: Non-English Web Sites. One of these sites, Ask NOAH About: Diabetes has links to many Spanish-language pages about diabetes, some of which might be just what you are looking for.

DM

[Editor's comment: Dr. Luther Travis authored a diabetes manual available in Spanish. SS]

[Editor's comment: The NIDDK diabetes website has Spanish-language information, including:

WWQ]

Posted to School and Daycare