From Tigard, Oregon, USA:
We are planning to enroll our five year old daughter (who has had type 1 diabetes for a year and a half) in a private Spanish Immersion elementary school, and almost all the teachers are native speakers from outside the United States. Do you know where I might find educational materials about taking care of a child with type 1 diabetes at school, in Spanish?
Check with your local endocrinologist. I know the ones in my area carry "school survival information" in Spanish! If that does not help, call your local American Diabetes Association affiliate.
Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:You can start your search by going to On-line Diabetes Resources Part 9: Non-English Web Sites. One of these sites, Ask NOAH About: Diabetes has links to many Spanish-language pages about diabetes, some of which might be just what you are looking for.
[Editor's comment: Dr. Luther Travis authored a diabetes manual available in Spanish. SS]
- 7 Principios para controlar la diabetes durante toda su vida (7 Principles for Controlling Your Diabetes for Life)
- Diabetes y la Nutrición (Diabetes and Nutrition)
- Diccionario de la Diabetes (Diabetes Dictionary)
En este diccionario de términos sobre diabetes se definen vocablos que con frecuencia se emplean al hablar o al escribir sobre la diabetes.
- El poder de controlar su diabetes esta en sus manos (The Power to Control Diabetes is in Your Hands)
- Hoja Nacional de Datos Sobre la Diabetes (National Diabetes Statistics)
- Impotencia (Impotence)
- Insuficiencia Renal Crónica Terminal: Elección del Tratamiento que le Conviene a Usted (End-Stage Renal Disease: Choosing a Treatment That's Right for You)
- Medicamentos Para las Personas con Diabetes (Medicines for People with Diabetes)
Recomendaciones Para Sentirse Mejor y Estar Más Saludable (Control Your Diabetes. For Life. Tips for Feeling Better and Staying Healthy)
- Sepa Cuánta Azúcar Tiene en la Sangre: Hágase la Prueba Para Controlar el Azúcar Sanguíneo (Know Your Blood Sugar Numbers)
Original posting 13 Aug 2001
Posted to School and Daycare
Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:24
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.