Question:

From Martinsville, Virginia, USA:

My nine year old son, who has had typeá1 diabetes for three years, has had hemoglobin A1c's from 7.2 to 8.9%, and about a month ago, his endocrinologist recommended an insulin pump for treatment. While researching this option, his lab results revealed a slightly low thyroid level. He has previously shown no complications with other internal organs. Currently, his doctor recommends no course of action other rechecking his thyroid in three months. What does this test result indicate? What are the potential implications?

Answer:

About 20% of children with diabetes develop thyroid disease, where the gland gradually stops functioning. They need thyroid replacement with a daily pill. I expect that the value was a bit abnormal and the physician wants to recheck the value before starting medicine. I wouldn't expect that he would wait if the values were terribly abnormal and that the wait will not be a problem. The hypothyroidism is autoimmune process, just like typeá1A diabetes.

Posted to Thyroid