There will be a camp for children with diabetes. Can you give me ideas for some activities geared towards fostering self esteem in children with diabetes?
I know you are looking forward to having a camp for kids with diabetes. Here are a few ideas I have tried at other camps.
Mostly kids with diabetes are just kids. Self esteem comes from being respected and acknowledged by themselves for who they are essentially.
- Fingerpainting -- Having a huge piece of paper that several children can fingerpaint on together. Art allows us to express emotions in amazing ways.
- Drawing -- I have children "draw a picture of your diabetes" and have conversations about each picture.
- Clay -- Have the children form different aspects of themselves and name them. For example, "Gilda Guarded Heart" or "Inez Inadequate". This generates both conversation and laughter.
- "The best thing about me is" game -- Kids share their strength.
- The Gremlin game -- Each child has to tame their own gremlin, the one that makes them feel less than okay.
Original posting 21 Aug 2001
Posted to Other
Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:24
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2014. Comments and Feedback.