Question:

From Murrieta, California, USA:

I heard that a child will get diabetes if the mother contracted German measles when she was pregnant. Is this so? How can I find out more on this?

Answer:

There is an increased risk of developing diabetes with rubella, but it is one of many different factors which may predispose to diabetes. Also, contracting rubella in pregnancy does not necessarily imply that the child will develop diabetes.

JS

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Congenital rubella is known to occasionally be related with type 1 diabetes mellitus.

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

The link between congenital rubella and childhood diabetes has been recognised for many years, and I'm sorry that I don' t have one of the original references. If you can get to a medical library and ask the librarian to help you find a report by Robles DJ and Eisenbarth G in the Journal of Autoimmunity, vol 16 page 355 [the article's abstract is on-line at PubMed, in Type 1a diabetes induced by infection and immunization], I think though that you would find it in this recent article's bibliography.