Question:

From Moscow, Russia:

I am 33 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years, and, seven years ago, I had pre-eclampsia and a C-section, but no complications. Is it possible to have a natural delivery without surgery when you have diabetes?

Answer:

My approach is always to try for a vaginal delivery. If you have had a previous Cesarean section, you may want to discuss your options with your obstetrician. Reasons to have a cesarean section would be fetal distress, non-vertex presentation (i.e., breech), and/or excessive fetal size.

Posted to Family Planning