Question:

From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

My six year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago. Is there some kind of formula I can use that tells me if she is still in the honeymoon phase?

Answer:

Frequently, in the honeymoon phase, the amount of insulin a child needs is less than it will be as the months and years go by. There really is no clear distinction between the honeymoon phase and subsequent times, and indeed, there is no specific formula that is used to determine if the honeymoon phase has passed. The honeymoon phase has passed when blood sugars become more labile and the amount of insulin needs to be increased significantly to achieve the same blood sugar results as in the first weeks and months after diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.

Posted to Honeymoon