Question:

From England:

I have celiac syndrome, my husband has type 2 diabetes, and we have three sons with language/development delays, behavior problems, etc. Is there any possibility of fragile X in my sons from being linked to the celiac disease or diabetes?

Answer:

Fragile X syndrome is due to an abnormal expansion of the FMR1 Gene on the X chromosome and a consequent deficiency in the protein FMRP. There is no recorded evidence of a link to celiac syndrome which is an autoimmune disorder or to any form of type 2 diabetes.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity