From Wendover, Ontario, Canada:

My four year old son, diagnosed at age nine and half months and on human insulin, has developed lipoatrophy on his buttocks and thigh, and I am sure I have rotated properly. I am told it is rare with human insulin, but it is still happening. It's been a year since it has developed, and I have not been using the areas, but fat isn't coming back. Could the combined insulin be the problem since it's not appearing on the arm (where he gets only one type of insulin)? Could it be the silicon in the syringe?

It is extremely unusual these days to see lipoatrophy in someone using human insulin and also in a child so young. It is worthwhile completely avoiding that site for some time. If you have done this and there is still lipoatrophy, occasionally by injecting the insulin at the edge of the lipoatrophy can stimulate the fatty layer to regrow. It is worth talking this over with your diabetes team. There is also a very rare condition called familial lipodystrophy which can occur, causing similar problems. However, it is unusual in very young children.