From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I am worried about my 14 year old niece who weighs 250 pounds. What is the likelihood of her developing diabetes? What type of diet should I give her? Her mother wants to put her on a 1000 calorie diet which I think that is way too strict.

I would agree 14 year old who weighs 250 pounds is at risk for developing diabetes. She should see someone to determine if she has diabetes now. At any rate, she needs to begin to eat better and exercise. The DPP (Diabetes Prevention Program) for type 2 diabetes documented a more than 50 % reduction in type 2 diabetes with diet and exercise.

How about a membership in a gym or health club? As for calories, 1000 will never work because very few can follow it. Healthy and exercise are the keys, but hard to do!

[Editor's comment: I'd suggest that your niece seek a referral to a pediatric dietitian familiar with type 2 diabetes in children and teens. Only a dietitian is qualified to determine your niece's caloric needs. Your niece should also be followed closely to monitor results and change meal plans as needed.

Another suggestion might be to contact Weight Watchers which has specialized programs for teens. SS]