From an Australian living abroad in Hong Kong:

I am presently six weeks pregnant with my second child and had gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy which required insulin. When I am not pregnant, my blood sugar levels are higher than those diagnostic of gestational diabetes. I have asked my doctor to do a glucose tolerance test now as I am fairly certain I will require monitoring in this pregnancy also, but he told me that the test cannot be administered until 16 weeks. Is this so? If not, how early can the test be done?

The glucose tolerance test can be done at any time. However, if the test is normal now, it should be repeated at the usual time (24-28 weeks).

If you have elevated blood sugars even when you are not pregnant, then I would be concerned about overt diabetes. Doing the test early may determine that diagnosis.

[Editor's comment: If you had elevated blood sugars between pregnancies, you probably will have high sugars now, or very soon. Start checking your blood sugars at home, dig out the meal plan from before, or better still the dietitian's phone number, and get onto the best possible meal plan now. WWQ]

Posted to Gestational Diabetes