From Austin, Texas, USA:

I'm 16 years old, and I've have type 1 diabetes for seven years, and my six-month goal is to lose 20 pounds. I do exercise, when I can find the time! Is there something I can do to help me lose this weight?

The key to weight loss and weight management lies in both an appropriately balanced diet and an active lifestyle. Work with your diabetes team to optimize your diet and insulin regimen. Maintain good blood sugar control while avoiding excessive hypoglycemia and the resulting increased caloric intake. Find ways to make exercise and increased activity a part of your daily lifestyle.

You may wish to try a motivational idea such as wearing a pedometer (which tracks your walking mileage) and attempt each day to reach or exceed your mileage from the day before. Remember that the "little things count" in terms of caloric expenditure, such as walking the stairs instead of taking the elevator, parking the car farther away, taking the "long way" to lunch to get those extra steps in. Exercise with a friend or family member (even the family dog!) to help keep you motivated and committed to your plan.

Don't overlook strength training and toning exercises as a part of your overall fitness plan. The increase in lean body (muscle mass) that accompanies strength training will help your body to burn more calories even at rest.

Remember too that as you continue to exercise, lose weight, and increase your lean muscle, your insulin requirements may change. Continue to monitor your blood sugars and work closely with your diabetes team in this regard. Most importantly, enjoy your active lifestyle!

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Exercise and Sports