Question:

From the USA:

My friend (who also has type 1 diabetes) contends that inulin (from artichokes and other vegetables) reduces the need for insulin. Has anyone out there more information?

Answer:

I'm afraid that I have never seen or heard anything to support this. There have been various substances associated with a reduced need for insulin -- usually because of their action on reducing absorption of carbohydrate from the gut. Inulin is an inert substance and it may have some action here. Nonetheless, insulin injections are always still required.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations