Question:

From Harrisville, Pennsylvania, USA:

I'm a 46 year old who was diagnosed with hypoglycemia (which is diet controlled) 17 years ago, and, for the last month or so, my blood sugars are constantly out of control (90-160 or more mg/dl [5-8.9 mmol/L]. Additionally, food just seems to sit in my stomach for extended hours, making me feel bloated and constantly full. If I don't eat I'm fine, but not eating causes my blood sugar to drop to 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L] and then I pass out.

Someone suggested that I may be insulin resistant until the food in my stomach gets to the liver. I'm searching for any and all solutions.

Answer:

My best guess is that you might have gastroparesis, a condition in which the stomach doesn't empty. You might ask your doctor to evaluate you for this. At 46, you might have type 2 diabetes starting too.