Question:

From Baxter, Tennessee, USA:

I have had t type 1 diabetes for 10 years, and I am currently taking Humalog before meals with NPH at bedtime. From what I read on this site, Lantus is an alternative to the four-shot regimen I am currently using. Would one shot of Lantus daily have the same effect as the four shots of Humulin and NPH I am taking at mealtime and bedtime?

I have not heard that much about Lantus and want to request a change at my next doctor's appointment to decrease the amount of daily injections I am having to take to maintain control.

Answer:

Unfortunately, Lantus (insulin glargine) does not have benefit you would like. It is a reasonable choice for a long-acting insulin. However, it cannot replace the need for short-acting insulins, such as Regular or Humalog. These short-acting insulins which peak rapidly are required to meet the need for insulin after meals. Without them, the blood sugar would experience a dramatic rise after meals. No short-acting insulin is less than optimal therapy.