From Bergen, Norway:

What are the indicators of persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of Infancy (PHHI) in a fetus? At 23 weeks gestation, what are the danger signals one should be looking for in an ultrasound?

I am not aware of any way of diagnosing hypoglycemia in a fetus by ultrasound. Glucose is transferred from the mother to the fetus across the placenta very easily. Thus, the fetus always has a ready supply of sugar. Unless the mother is profoundly hypoglycemic for a prolonged period of time, I think it is unlikely that a fetus will be significantly hypoglycemic in utero even if it is making excess insulin.

Posted to Nesidioblastosis