Question:

From Lancaster, California, USA:

My 58 year old grandmother has type 2 diabetes, is taking no medications, and is not seeing a professional because she has no type of insurance. I'm worried about her because she's already had two heart attacks. Do you know of any clinics that would cover her? Please help; we're desperate.

Answer:

Your grandmother needs to file for Medi-Cal in the county/city in which she lives. If she does not qualify they can refer her to a low cost state plan. There is available health care to everyone in California, you just need someone to help navigate the system. She can start by calling the Los Angeles or Long Beach public health department. They will refer her to the proper services.

HVS