From Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada:

I have diabetes which I am controlling with diet, exercise and pills, and recently, I tested my nine year old son's blood sugars and had two readings at 9:30 pm of 7.4 and 6.6 mmol/L [133 and 118 mg/dl]. Is this normal or should I take him for tests? He is very tall for his age and does have extra weight which we are trying to bring down with exercise.

A random blood sugar is not helpful in diagnosing any glucose intolerance, but the readings you report look normal. I think you might ask your son's doctor to do a fasting blood sugar in order to exclude any glucose intolerance.

However, given your history and the fact that your son is overweight puts him at extra risk for future diabetes. The best way to reduce any risk is surely to lose weight through diet and exercise most. Keep on that.

[Editor's comment: See Diabetes Prevention Program. SS]