Question:

From Pendleton, Oregon, USA:

My 10 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year, was put on a 504 plan when she went back to school. This year the school district's special education coordinator says that there has been a new ruling/interpretation about 504 plans, and from now on children with diabetes will not be considered for 504 plans or IDEA protection. Where is she getting this information? Is it true?

Answer:

You're going to have to ask the special education coordinator where she got her information. As far as I know, children with diabetes are protected by these statutes. I would also contact your local affiliate of the American Diabetes Association for assistance.

This individual is either misinformed or does not want to be bothered with implementing a 504 for your child. See: The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes.

SS

Posted to School and Daycare