From El Cajon, California, USA:

I am 43 years old, overweight, and I have no job, money, or health insurance, and my dad died from diabetes. A week ago, during a preemployment physical, I had glucose in my urine, and the doctor told me to see someone and have it treated as soon as possible. They sent me to a clinic which would not see me because I did not have $30.00. I have had symptoms for some time that I just wrote off as getting old. After my physical, I searched the Internet and found that all of my symptoms relate to diabetes. Now I am scared, and I do not know if a few weeks will cause more damage. I have had headaches, lower back pain and blurred vision for a few years. I have been off balance almost like I am drunk for two or three years. I have had numbness and tingling in my butt, legs and feet on and off for a few years. Now I have had a numb left hand for three months and pain in my pubic area for a few months. Should I wait? Can I wait?

Even though your sugar was found really quite high, it might be okay to wait a few weeks (very few). If you are very concerned, go to an emergency room for fast medical advice to start appropriate treatment under medical supervision. Please be seen as soon as possible.

In the meanwhile, you must check your urine for ketones (ask your pharmacist for home strips) and if they are positive, get help immediately. If they are not, do follow some safety rules like abandoning any cakes and sweets (beverages included such as sodas, juices etc), reducing your food intake (most of the fat and carbohydrate intake), and drinking as much water as you like.

[Editor's comment: See Advice to new patients with Type 2 Diabetes, at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts. WWQ]