From San Mateo, California, USA:

My 41 year brother, who had diabetes for 20 years, was in total denial of his disease and drank alcohol regularly, but rarely showed any signs of ill health until recently. He did have several sores that were very slow to heal. He had become sick recently, vomiting blood and eventually died from DKA in his home alone. His death was sudden and a shock to everyone in the family and all of his friends. Could anything have been done to save him from this sad ending?

DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] is potentially a preventable situation, and depends on looking after your diabetes and being in control of it. A person with diabetes can develop DKA if they are unwell with an illness, but often, the first signs of DKA are high glucose readings and the development of ketones in the urine.

Your brother's death is very unfortunate, and I am sure a tragic loss to yourselves and all who knew him. The actual details surrounding his problems may have resulted in his death, but the actual reason why he developed DKA and died may not be known.