Question:

From Dawsonville, Georgia, USA:

My eight year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, and her school is four miles from our home. Sometimes the bus ride can take more than 30 minutes, and I am concerned because she typically has her lows in the afternoon. I have read the student bill of rights, but it does not cover transportation to and from school. Do we have the right to ask them to change the bus route or should we just make other arrangements?

Answer:

You have the right to request reasonable accommodations for your daughter which might include transportation. However, because this may be difficult get and create more alienation than it's worth, I would suggest that you ask the school to make sure that your daughter checks her blood sugar and is given a snack before boarding the bus.

SS

Posted to School and Daycare