From Clear Lake, Minnesota, USA:

My son will be entering the second grade and just got changed to doing a shot before lunch which he did not require last year. He cannot do his own shots yet and will need help, but the school nurse is only there one day a week and has a helper as other times. Last year, they said they could not give him glucagon because they could not inject the kids. Do they have to help him do his shots? Do I have to go to the school and give my son's shots until he learns to do them himself?

If you have a 504 Plan and have requested this assistance in writing, the school is required by law to make the approved modifications. The student/parents are not required to assume responsibility for the provision of needed accommodations. However, the school can refuse to grant a request for an accommodation that is not specifically documented.

Posted to School and Daycare