Question:

From Keene, New Hampshire, USA:

I have been using an insulin pump for the last six years with the bent needle, and for the last last month, I have been experiencing bleeding around the needle. I have tried new sites and still have the same problem after about 12 hours. Can you advise as to what might be the cause?

Answer:

We have heard from several of our bent-needle users that they have also had some problems with them as of late. We have switched them off the bent needles, and they seem to do fine. I think the manufacturing process might have been changed somewhat. Actually, they are all much happier with the sets where the needle is removed and a tiny plastic catheter is all that remains.

LSF

[Editor's comment: By chance, have you started use of aspirin recently? That would aggrevate bleeding and bruising tendencies. WWQ]

Posted to Insulin Pumps