From Williamstown, West Virginia, USA:

My seven year old son has always drunk a lot more and urinated a lot more than other kids, but I haven't worried about it too much. This summer however, I noticed that he has been eating quite a bit more, is cranky and tired, but he is not losing weight. My friend checked his blood sugar level which was 171mg/dl [9.5 mmol/L] about two and a half hours after a snack, and I am taking him to the doctor. What should I expect them to do?

That blood sugar level is clearly high. Your pediatrician will likely want to do some screening tests for diabetes which likely will include blood and urine tests.