Question:

From Williamstown, West Virginia, USA:

My seven year old son has always drunk a lot more and urinated a lot more than other kids, but I haven't worried about it too much. This summer however, I noticed that he has been eating quite a bit more, is cranky and tired, but he is not losing weight. My friend checked his blood sugar level which was 171mg/dl [9.5 mmol/L] about two and a half hours after a snack, and I am taking him to the doctor. What should I expect them to do?

Answer:

That blood sugar level is clearly high. Your pediatrician will likely want to do some screening tests for diabetes which likely will include blood and urine tests.