Question:

From Downey, California, USA:

I hadn't been to the doctor for my diabetes in the last few years, and he prescribed twice a day glipizide [a pill for type 2 diabetes]. I returned to the doctor today with a prescription for my diabetes medication, and he also he gave me a prescription for Lotensin [a blood pressure medication]. Last week my blood pressure was 132/80, and today it was 144/84. When I questioned him about prescribing the Lotensin, he said that it was a preventive measure to save my kidneys and that he was prescribing it because of my diabetes. From the blood and/or urine test that I took last week, he said that my kidneys were functioning fine. Have you heard of this kind of preventive therapy?

Answer:

Let me assure you that your physician has prescribed medications for you that are in the mainstream of diabetes care. It is important for you to know this because it will undoubtedly help you comply with your physician's recommendations. The American Diabetes Association has recommended that patients with diabetes maintain blood pressure less than 130/80 mm Hg. Your pressures were clearly elevated. Therefore, you need a medication to bring the pressure down. In addition to bringing the pressure down, the medicine you were prescribed comes from a class of medications known as ACE inhibitors. These drugs have been shown to protect your kidneys over a long time from developing chronic renal failure. Therefore, it remains a preferred class of drugs for situations such as yours.

[Editor's comment: Also see How to Protect your Kidneys, at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts. WWQ]