From Canberra, Australia:

I am a 38 year old healthy female who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five weeks ago, and I had excessive thirst, weight and hair loss. The hair falling out was not in clumps, but excessive amounts in my hairbrush and after washing.

I have been on insulin since the diagnosis and feel that I am back in great health, but my hair is still falling out, although not quite as much. Will this ever stop? I don't want to end up bald! I know this is not an uncommon symptom of diabetes, but nobody can tell me what causes this.

It is highly likely that your hair problem will correct itself soon. The loss of hair during times of stress or illness is a nonspecific problem.The mechanism for the hair loss is usually the premature release of hair from the hair follicle. This results in a generalized thinning of the hair. The cycle for hair growth and recovery is slow to evolve so a lag phase in your recovery is not unusual. Hang in there. I suspect it will improve soon.

[Editor's comment: Hair loss can also be a sign of a thyroid disorder. Check with your doctor to be sure you have been tested for this. SS]