Question:

From Canberra, Australia:

I am a 38 year old healthy female who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five weeks ago, and I had excessive thirst, weight and hair loss. The hair falling out was not in clumps, but excessive amounts in my hairbrush and after washing.

I have been on insulin since the diagnosis and feel that I am back in great health, but my hair is still falling out, although not quite as much. Will this ever stop? I don't want to end up bald! I know this is not an uncommon symptom of diabetes, but nobody can tell me what causes this.

Answer:

It is highly likely that your hair problem will correct itself soon. The loss of hair during times of stress or illness is a nonspecific problem.The mechanism for the hair loss is usually the premature release of hair from the hair follicle. This results in a generalized thinning of the hair. The cycle for hair growth and recovery is slow to evolve so a lag phase in your recovery is not unusual. Hang in there. I suspect it will improve soon.

[Editor's comment: Hair loss can also be a sign of a thyroid disorder. Check with your doctor to be sure you have been tested for this. SS]