Question:

From State College, Pennsylvania, USA:

Are there any organizations or businesses will donate a computer to a child who has diabetes and misses many days of school because of her illness causing her to fall behind in school?

Answer:

I would suggest contacting the local chapters of national service organizations like the Loins Clubs, Kiwanis, Shriners, etc.

DSH

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

You might check with the local American Diabetes Association or Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation chapter.

[Editor's comment: I have had patients get computers through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

I would also suggest that this young lady be evaluated by a pediatric diabetes team if she hasn't been already. Most children with diabetes are able to regularly attend school and are not "ill." If this child is having so much difficulty with her control that she misses school, her treatment regimen needs to assessed and changed as needed. SS]