From Fresno, California, USA:

I am twenty one years old, have had type 1 diabetes for the last fourteen years, and I have spent most of my life in and out of intensive care, and almost died several times from DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis]. I have felt a prisoner in my body my entire life, and I was never able to attend school with other students -- I had to have more than half of my schooling through home studies which left me extremely isolated.

I was also in a severe car accident and now have a bulged disk in my back which seems to be getting progressively worse with time. I am unable to sit or stand for longer than a half hour at a time, so of course I am unable to work or go to school. Therefore, I really have no other choice but to study from home.

I am not sure about the scholarships available for home schooled individuals.However, with home schooling becoming more the norm, I'll bet there is some education money out there.

As far as your experience with diabetes goes, that may require another question from you.

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

If you are of compulsory school age, the school district is required to provide you an education, either through a tutor or other similar structured educational program. If the writer is beyond high school, there are many, many on-line educational programs available from accredited institutions of higher learning. I would think (but am not sure) that students completing course work in a degree program through these programs are eligible for student aid like Pell Grants, Federal Student Loan Program, etc. Although I am not aware of any program specifically targeted to people with diabetes, you should contact the Office of Student Aid at the institution you are seeking to enroll in for more information about Federal and State student aid programs.

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

You should consult with the social worker on your diabetes team.

[Editor's comment: Our Event Co-ordinator, who also monitors the parents' listserver, has this to offer:

One family from Indiana told us that in their state, diabetes was considered a disability and the publicly funded colleges and universities gave significant (thousands of dollars) scholarships and/or tuition credits to students with type 1 diabetes. Not sure if this still holds true or if it is true in other states.

Laura Billetdeaux

[Editor's comment: I would suggest that you contact your local division of social services for help in finding the assistance you are requesting. SS]