Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from September 2001

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I am 31 years old, and I have recently been told by the physician that I have type 1 diabetes. How do they really differentiate between type 1 and type 2 diabetes? (29 Sep 2001)

2. We have requested that the coaches be trained on the administration of the glucagon injection, but the school district is telling us that no one at the school can administer shots and their "plan" is to call 911 even though my son is filed under Chapter 504 and the glucagon is part of his accommodation plan. Are they required to have trained staff (other than the RN) to administer the glucagon if necessary? (29 Sep 2001)

3. My sugar levels vary from very low where I'm shaking and barely able to function, to very high where I can't seem to stay awake. I have told my doctor and nothing has changed. I test four times a day and inject two types of insulin, and I've tried several pills in the past, but have not been able to get control. Is three and a half years a normal trial period to get control? (29 Sep 2001)

4. My friend's 11 year old son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, is currently in the honeymoon period, and his father is curious as to what he can do to prolong this. Are there any scientific studies as to types of foods, herbs, diet changes, exercise, etc., that can prolong it? (29 Sep 2001)

5. Are there truly any differences between Humalog and Novolog? When reading previous questions, it looks like the two are interchangeable. Do I interpret this correctly? What benefit, if any, might a Humalog user have if switched to Novolog? (29 Sep 2001)

6. I tried to ask about the stem cell procedure for my two year old, but they say she's too young. Still, I just wonder why because this would look like the right time to get little ones involved in this and try to find the cure before it's too late. Can she wait until she's 18 years old? (29 Sep 2001)

7. My eight year old son was sent home from school because he wore a pump to school, and we were told he could not come back. (28 Sep 2001)

8. My eight year old, who is on the pump, can figure out his own bolus and then boluses himself once he knows what the amount is. I have asked the school to let him bolus himself after he is done eating his snack. The nurse is refusing to do so. How much say do parents have on their child's care at school? (28 Sep 2001)

9. Do doctors tell parents that their children are prone to get type 2 diabetes before they develop it or do they just simply wait and tell them when the actually get type 2 diabetes? (28 Sep 2001)

10. Do you have any information on when the new InDuo will be available? Can it be used with Lilly's insulin cartridges (such as Humalog), or only those from Novo-Nordisk? (28 Sep 2001)

11. Our seven year old son was diagnosed three months ago, and we're travelling to Phuket, Thailand. Our concern is about possible care of gastric illness. How do we find out about standard of health care? (28 Sep 2001)

12. My eight year old son has had type 1 diabetes for three years, and his body development has been slow since then. Is this because of the diabetes or is it something that we are doing wrong? (28 Sep 2001)

13. My 11 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes nearly two and a half years ago, and I have read your reply to a question on saving cord blood for possible future use. There is no possibility of my having any further children, and I wondered how close the relationship of the donor to the recipient would have to be. (28 Sep 2001)

14. Four months ago, I came down with what doctors think was meningitis. Apparently the meningitis triggered type 1 diabetes. Have you ever heard of meningitis which triggers type 1 diabetes? (28 Sep 2001)

15. I am an overweight 31 year old woman who has had diabetes for 21 years, and I am also on a insulin pump with carb counting. My problem is I am having trouble losing weight. Is there anything that I can do? (28 Sep 2001)

16. My 11 year old is going on a pump and attends a small Catholic school which does not have a nurse. I have given the office information, but they don't even read it, and I am concerned if he has a low, they might not call for help. They seem to take his diabetes very lightly. Do we have any rights? Any suggestions? (28 Sep 2001)

17. This week, I took care of a newly-delivered mother, who claimed that her husband's doctor stated that their new baby couldn't get diabetes, since it "skips generations." Does this make sense to you? (28 Sep 2001)

18. Our 15 year old daughter, who has been in a honeymoon for two years, experiences lows at 8:30 am. We are confused because at 7:30 am her blood sugars can reach 195 mg/dl [10.8 mmol/L], and the rest of the day is great. She eats a snack at 8:00 am Any suggestions? What is the best way to solve mid-morning lows? (28 Sep 2001)

19. My nine year old daughter has considerable trouble with her extremely high blood sugars numbers at times. Her insulin is being given at the right times in correct amounts, and her carb counting at meals is appropriate for her. I am concerned that even when I am really strict on her and watch everything that she is still having these highs. (27 Sep 2001)

20. I'm not gaining weight, but I'm eating constantly because I'm starving just 10 minutes after a meal, and I'm not excessively thirsty. Five months ago, I had a fasting blood sugar of 7.8 mmol/L [140 mg/dl], but the followup test was normal. Would you suggest I go back to the doctor? (27 Sep 2001)

21. My 16 year old daughter is not doing well at all with her diabetes, and since she loves animals, I'm thinking that getting her a cat or dog with diabetes would help. Would this be a wise course of action to take? (26 Sep 2001)

22. My six year old son, diagnosed at the age of two, is complaining of chest pains. My opinion is that it looks like a muscular spasm, but I would like to follow through with this to rule out any congenital anomalies. What kind of diagnostics should we look at? (26 Sep 2001)

23. I really don't need to lose weight, but I have read that liposuction can "cure" insulin resistance. Is there a chance that liposuction will help control diabetes? Should I pursue liposuction? (26 Sep 2001)

24. My son has been chronically ill for a year. Two years ago he began to have frequent urination with excessive thirst that was monumental. His pediatrician check urine samples twice, and he thought my son was borderline. A year ago, urine and blood tests revealed nothing. Could it be possible he has some form of diabetes? (26 Sep 2001)

25. Should I give chromium to my daughter who has type 1 diabetes to regulate blood sugars and decrease insulin needs? (26 Sep 2001)

26. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I am being treated with metformin, and since my release from the hospital, I still feel really tired. My sugars won't come down below 9.9 mmol/L [178 mg/dl] even though I'm eating regular and healthy meals and exercising. How long will it take before my sugars start stabilizing? (26 Sep 2001)

27. If my boyfriend does have retrograde ejaculation into his bladder, can he have surgery or something to get it fixed? (26 Sep 2001)

28. My son just had a test for microalbuminuria and was told that he was borderline for protein in his urine. His other tests were normal and his A1cs have been in the 6 and 7% range. Can you tell me more about the possibility of protein in the urine? What can be done about it? (26 Sep 2001)

29. I have read a little about the use of C-peptide to decrease the complications of diabetes. Do you have any information on this topic? (26 Sep 2001)

30. The school nurse phoned me today. She indicated that my son has been inadvertently using another child's kit to test his blood sugars at lunch time. Should I seek the advice of an attorney? (26 Sep 2001)

31. Can eating the wrong food cause leg swelling? What does that lead to? (26 Sep 2001)

32. My eight year old son has had a lot of highs and lows, and, in fact, he is rarely in his goal range. Yesterday, we saw a new pediatric endocrinologist who suggested that we change to Ultralente at breakfast and supper with Humalog at breakfast, lunch, and supper. How do these treatments differ? What changes can we expect to see? (25 Sep 2001)

33. My 12 year old grandson has type 1 diabetes, at a recent holiday dinner, behaved inappropriately, and I was told by my son that we had to expect bad behavior because of his diabetes. Is there any book I can send to my son and daughter-in-law to help them deal with the emotional problems of diabetes or should I just stay out of it? (25 Sep 2001)

34. My boyfriend does not know just how concerned I am about his diabetes. I want to ask him about it, but it's a sensitive subject to him. He went to the doctor about a month ago who said he was in perfect health, but I am still concerned and want to learn more. (25 Sep 2001)

35. I am 26 years old and was diagnosed two years ago, but the doctor could not tell me if it was type 1 or type 2 diabetes. I have a family history of it, I am overweight, and I am taking a pill for it. How do you tell the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes? (25 Sep 2001)

36. My son receives a three month supply of his insulin by mail, and I've just been informed that Lantus lasts about one month. Is this after opening the bottle or do we need to be concerned that his entire three month supply will go bad in a month? (25 Sep 2001)

37. Can a child, age nine, newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes develop a tolerance or immunity to insulin? (25 Sep 2001)

38. A little over a year ago, my then two year old son had blood sugars from low to high. If my two year old has diabetes, why is he still experiencing lows? Without insulin? (25 Sep 2001)

39. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was told that I might develop retinopathy, neuropathy, and nephropathy. However, I was never once told that I would acquire hypoglycemic unawareness, that I developed after I transferred from animal to synthetic insulin. When did the term 'hypoglycemic unawareness' originate and who coined it? (25 Sep 2001)

40. My three and a half year old son is just getting over a virus that gave him vomiting and a high temperature (39c). I have noticed this morning an acetone smell from his breath. Is this a warning or a symptom of diabetes? (25 Sep 2001)

41. My 15 year old daughter, diagnosed three months ago, is on Humulin and Humalog three times a day (not at school), and I was told recently that I needed to leave both medications and syringes at school in case of an emergency. Due to recent current events, I'm thinking that this isn't a bad idea. What do you recommend? (25 Sep 2001)

42. A friend of mine sent me an article she received regarding the discovery of a protein, PGC-1, which is believed to be the "switch" that regulates the liver's production of glucose. What impact would this new discovery have in the future treatment/management/cure of our child's diabetes? (25 Sep 2001)

43. School personnel of a local elementary school are refusing to learn how to give insulin injections that may be needed by a first grade boy with type 1 diabetes who does not self-inject. They are saying the legal ramifications are too great. Is there any legal statute on which they stand giving them the right to refuse to do this? (24 Sep 2001)

44. In type 2 diabetes, do you usually develop ketosis prior to initial diagnosis? Is there any danger of someone with type 2 diabetes going into DKA? (24 Sep 2001)

45. I have recently received my replacement meter due to a fault in my first meter so I decided to compare readings and the results were significantly different between the two. This would cause me to give either too little or extra insulin as I'm on a sliding scale. (24 Sep 2001)

46. Four days ago, I started the low carbohydrate diet. My diet is now high in protein and fat, and low in carbohydrates. With this diet, my blood sugar control has been nothing short of spectacular, but I tested positive for large amounts of ketones this morning. I would like to continue on this diet, but, as I understand it, ketones are a bad thing. What do you think is happening? (24 Sep 2001)

47. My three year old daughter is going through tests to see how bad her diabetes is. Her doctor said that she has honeymooners diabetes which I have never heard of. Can you give me some background on this type? Is it also called a different name? (24 Sep 2001)

48. I am 17 years old, I have had diabetes for almost three years, and when I was first diagnosed, my brother was tested to see if he had the genetic marker or trigger for diabetes, which he did. Are there any statistics or results published on the percentage of those who tested positive and have actually developed diabetes? Are there any preventative measures my family should be taking for him? (24 Sep 2001)

49. I have newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes and bilateral ovarian cysts. Are the two related? If I opt for surgical removal of the ovaries, can I expect complications as a result of the diabetes? (24 Sep 2001)

50. My husband and I would like to try for children. The problem is my morning blood sugars are high. How dangerous is the occasional high reading in a pregnancy? (24 Sep 2001)

51. For the last three weeks, no matter what we try our son keeps waking at over 16 mmol/L [288 mg/dl]. I can' t get the night time right. It was suggested that he may be falling to low at night, and his body is responding by raising his sugar level. (24 Sep 2001)

52. Our 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago, and after the initial diagnosis, she was very interested and careful about all aspects of her disease. However, she is now displaying a moderate reluctance. Should we back off? (24 Sep 2001)

53. My daughter had a urinalysis which showed 3+ glucose and 1+ ketones. A blood sugar taken at that time was 97 mg/dl [5.4 mmol/L], and two days later, she had a fasting blood sugar of 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L], an A1c of 4.7%, and her urine was clear. One month repeat labs showed a fasting blood sugar of 87 mg/dl [4.8 mmol/L], and her urine is clear. My mom thinks we need to keep investigating as my daughter may be developing diabetes, but her pediatrician is not acting concerned. Where should I go from here? (24 Sep 2001)

54. With the recent terrorist attacks, a few questions have come to mind dealing with my 12 year old son's type 1 diabetes. How long can a person with diabetes go without insulin? Are there any emergency procedures that should be followed for someone with diabetes? (23 Sep 2001)

55. Does drinking water or doing moderate exercise during the three-hour glucose tolerance test for pregnant women affect the results? (23 Sep 2001)

56. I have had diabetes some 37 years, I always been on insulin, and I and I live a very healthy active life, but I am overweight by three sizes and cannot seem to rid my self of the extra weight. Am I kidding myself about my diet? (23 Sep 2001)

57. Our four year old's pediatrician did a urine dipstick which showed evidence of glucose but no ketones. However, her serum glucose was 61 mg/dl [3.4 mmol/L]. How likely is a false positive in her first urine test? Are there any other reasons for glucose in the urine of a child fighting a virus? (23 Sep 2001)

58. Ever since my injury, I have had wide swings in blood sugar (from 90-225 mg/dl [5-12.5 mmol/L] fasting and 100-275 mg/dl [5.5-15.3 mmol/L] four hours after meals), and my A1c has gone from 6.4 to 7.3% in the last six months. Could this be related to the poor pain control that I have over my now chronic back condition? What would be your suggestions? (23 Sep 2001)

59. I was diagnosed with diabetes last week, and I am taking a fast acting insulin before meals according to my readings and I'm taking 10 units of Lantus at bedtime. My reading is great in the morning, but goes up before lunch and before bedtime. Is it common to have jumps in levels without eating anything to cause it? Will it eventually be regulated? (23 Sep 2001)

60. I read something about cow's milk being related to the onset of juvenile diabetes. What information do you have on this? What can a mom do who has it in her family and wants to avoid her 11 month old getting it? (22 Sep 2001)

61. I want to change my career into an area in which I can help children with diabetes. My background encompasses engineering, construction, machinery, and sports. To go back to school would be no problem, even at my age of 41. (22 Sep 2001)

62. My 16 year old niece has had diabetes for approximately three years and is not managing her diabetes well. Recently I have become aware, accidently, that she has difficulty holding her urine. She is up often at night to urinate and often does not make it to the bathroom in time. What could this frequent urination at night suggest? (22 Sep 2001)

63. I am 18 years old, I was first diagnosed with diabetes at the age of nine, and I am going to leave home to attend a university in London, England. My doctor was not happy with latest A1c of 7.6%. Can you give me some advice as I will be far from home? (22 Sep 2001)

64. I am a 17 year old who was diagnosed with hypoglycemia about two years ago. I have a strong family history of diabetes and I had a blood sugar of 175 mg/dl [9.7 mmol/L] at 1:00 am. I see a diabetes doctor for the hypoglycemia, and I am on a strict diet for that. My diabetes doctor said there is a possibility I could develop diabetes. Should I be worried about the blood sugar level of 175 mg/dl [9.7 mmol/L]? (22 Sep 2001)

65. I am an active 47 year old who has been insulin dependent for the past 30 years. I've been on the pump for just over a year, and I am absolutely ecstatic with the results. I utilize about six infusion sites on my abdomen which seem to work very well. I am able to leave a set in on average for roughly five days without any irritation, discomfort or other adverse effect(s). Do you feel that this is an adequate rotation which will prevent future complications down the road? (22 Sep 2001)

66. My son as probably had approximately 20 seizures in the last two years, and we finally seemed to have found the correct dose of insulin because he has not had one in at least two months. He is very bright, but I worry that when he becomes school age that he may show signs of brain damage from these seizures. At what point do diabetic seizures start affecting the brain? When do they begin affecting him permanently? (22 Sep 2001)

67. I am 16 years old and, for about six years, I have been seeing "green dots" when I haven't eaten or am doing an unusual amount of exercise. I mentioned these to my doctor who told me that it was probably hypoglycemia. Should I be alarmed? (22 Sep 2001)

68. I was on Avandia but had some problems that I attributed to the drug, and I was very ill. If you cannot contact your doctor, and you feel strongly that a medication is having a bad effect on you, how should you proceed? (22 Sep 2001)

69. I am a 57 year old male who recently had an A1c result of 6.8% (normal: 6.0%) so my doctor put me on Glucophage. Do you concur with the treatment? (22 Sep 2001)

70. My two year old daughter has type 1 diabetes and receives two injections a day of Regular and NPH. I don't know what I can do for her if her blood glucose goes too high. Can I give her some Regular between her usual injections? (22 Sep 2001)

71. My four and a half year old son just started public school. Our problem is the nurse will not allow anyone but her to give glucagon. We live in a very small town, and it would take up to 20 minutes for EMS to show up. If he had a severe low and needed glucagon and couldn't receive glucagon immediately, what are the problems resulting from non-treatment? (20 Sep 2001)

72. I am trying to determine when my son suffered brain damage. (20 Sep 2001)

73. One local school here is asking that the parents provide documentation on a weekly basis of the calibration procedure and results for each child with diabetes, claiming that CLIA regulations are driving this request. Do schools generally require meter calibration by the parents on a routine basis? Do you have any comments on this practice for kids in schools? (20 Sep 2001)

74. I suffer from a somewhat unusual and almost completely misunderstood malady called "night sweats". I'm anxious to find more information on this topic. (20 Sep 2001)

75. My 24 year old husband was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago and has a strong family history of diabetes. We are expecting our first child any day now. After informing our chosen pediatrician about our family history of type 1 diabetes, can I expect or ask for regular monitoring of our children's sugar levels? Is that routinely done? (20 Sep 2001)

76. Our three and a half year old daughter recently started on an insulin pump, and we have noticed that the higher her blood sugar is, the more insulin she needs per point drop. We sometimes have to bolus several times when high before we get the desired reading. Her endocrinologist has suggested that this may have to do with insulin resistance at higher blood sugar readings. Can you elaborate on this? (20 Sep 2001)

77. I am a school bus driver, and I will be transporting a child who has diabetes. I want to know what to do, besides the obvious of contacting an ambulance, if he passes out or has a seizure. Is there anything that I could do until the paramedics get there? (20 Sep 2001)

78. My almost 81 year old husband has congestive heart failure for which he takes several medications, and he also has diabetes for which he was taking Amaryl, but since his blood sugars have been 240-290 mg/dl [13.3-16.1 mmol/L], his doctor added Glucophage. My husband's doctor said that in some future time my husband's sugar will come down. What do you advise? (20 Sep 2001)

79. I have type 2 diabetes, and I was taking Amaryl and Glucophage resulting in blood sugar averages of 130-150 mg/dl [7.2-8.3 mmol/L]. However, I recently switched to Glucovance and have not had as good control (160-200 mg/dl [8.9-11.1 mmol/L]). Does it take a while for the new medication to start working? (20 Sep 2001)

80. Taking Regular solved the problem of my blood sugar peaking after dinner and the lows before bed, but now I am high (13-16 mmol/L [234-288 mg/dl] )some mornings. I thought at first that I was dipping low in the middle of the night, but I have checked a couple of times and wasn't low. What could be causing the high blood sugar in the morning? Should I start to increase the NPH before bed or decrease it? (20 Sep 2001)

81. MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is being promoted as a treatment for type 2 diabetes, but I cannot find any basis for this claim. Is MSM of any benefit? Can it cause any problems? (19 Sep 2001)

82. My son was on two shots a day until two months ago when he was switched to three (morning, supper, and bedtime). This was "supposed" to help his control, but his numbers are terrible, and the doctor will not put him back on two shots. If his next A1c has gone up, what should we do? Find another doctor or put him back on two shots a day? (19 Sep 2001)

83. At the age of 18 days, my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He now is seven months old, is on Ultralente and Humalog, and his sugars still are unstable. All his doctors say is that he is a learning experience. I am interested in finding out more information on type 1 diabetes. (19 Sep 2001)

84. I read a book which said that children with hypoglycemia cannot take proteolytic enzymes. Why? (19 Sep 2001)

85. My 10 year old son urinates frequently and is thirsty a lot, so I asked our physician to check him and his urine test did not show any high levels of sugar. They seemed to think it may be compulsive behavior on his part. If the sugar levels were low in the urine, should I bother asking them to do a blood test? (19 Sep 2001)

86. My husband has type 2 diabetes and really watches what he eats and takes regular exercise, but recently, his blood sugar has shot up to 17 mmol/L [306 mg/dl]. with a message to check the ketones, and he is urinating about every half hour and is really thirsty all the time. How can we control the ketones? (19 Sep 2001)

87. My mother has diabetes treated with insulin and MRSA, and recently, her little toe on one foot was recently "snapped off" after a period of time (not a surgical or anaesthetised procedure). She now has been told she has MRSA in the big toe on the same foot, which is very black and has an extremely bad odour, She is in severe pain and takes a lot of medication for it. Is the MRSA a result or made more likely by her diabetes? Can this spread? (19 Sep 2001)

88. I have type 2 diabetes and I am taking Glucophage, two other prescription medications, and several vitamins. Why am I so nauseated which then leads to vomiting? Am I mixing too many pills or the wrong ones? (19 Sep 2001)

89. My son has been on Lantus insulin for about two months, and we've noticed that after we've used a vial of Lantus for two weeks, he starts to have unexplained high dinner and bedtime numbers consistently (over 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L]), and as soon as we give him his Lantus dose at 8:30 pm, he's back to normal all night. Is it possible that the Lantus starts to lose its effectiveness after two weeks? (19 Sep 2001)

90. My 41 year old wife just got switched over from NPH and R to Lantus and lispro. Is it still in experimental phase? Please help with any and all information for her regarding what to expect, transition time for her body to adjust, etc. (19 Sep 2001)

91. My seven year old granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three months ago, and things are going okay. We have our good days and our not so good days with her blood sugars. She is great about what she can and can't have to eat, but lately in the morning, it takes forever for her to eat breakfast. Could you give me some neat ideas for breakfast that might really make her want to eat faster? (18 Sep 2001)

92. My seven year old daughter was born with hypoglycemia due to too much insulin production and secretion and she successfully outgrew her need for medication. She has sparse, slow growing hair, which is also falling out. What do the statistics show is the probability for her to either have a relapse of low sugar, high sugar, or remain stable? Is there any known relationship between diazoxide and on-going loss of hair after weaned? (18 Sep 2001)

93. I haven't been able to treat this disease, and now I have spots (two large and several smaller), and my toes have been extremely painful. The big ones get a mound like thing on them and then burst out pus and blood. Is this related to the diabetes? Will this kill me? (18 Sep 2001)

94. One night my seven year old son asked to have his blood sugar checked which was 161mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L]. After dinner, I checked it again and it was 395 mg/dl [21.9 mmol/L], 20 minutes later it was 259 mg/dl [14.1 mmol/L], and his fasting the next morning was 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. Can a child's blood sugar go this high without having diabetes? (18 Sep 2001)

95. My sister-in-law has diabetes treated with insulin, and she has developed an infection in injection sites five different times in the last year. Most recently, the injection site in her stomach became so severely infected that it required surgery. She said they told her that she has what is known as cellulitus. What can you tell me about this condition? (18 Sep 2001)

96. In type 2 diabetes, how does your doctor know which medication to prescribe? How does he or she know if your pancreas is not producing enough insulin or if your liver releases too much glucose or if your cells do not take in the glucose? (18 Sep 2001)

97. I am a 44 year old male, I have had type 2 diabetes for about 15 years, and I had a toe amputated on my right foot about five years ago. After the surgery, I noticed that my foot always seemed to be wider than my left, almost to the point of looking swollen. Is this common? (18 Sep 2001)

98. I am a 39 year old women who has had type 2 diabetes for eight months treated with Glucophage and Glucotrol, and I also am taking other medications. For about a month, I have been getting nauseated a couple of hours after I eat, sometimes to the point where I can't even finish eating. I can never get an appointment with my doctor, and I am wondering if any of these medications are incompatible. Seeking answers. (18 Sep 2001)

99. My 26 year old boyfriend has had diabetes since he was 10 (type 1, I think), and when we are intimate, he has an orgasm, but he does not ejaculate at all. I am worried that he will not be able to have children if we decide on that some day. Can diabetes do that to him? Can diabetes make you moody and make you feel like you just want to be alone? (18 Sep 2001)

100. My 13 year old son has diabetes, we space his meals two and a half hours apart, and we are thinking about increasing them to three hours apart. How far apart should meals and snacks be spaced? (17 Sep 2001)

101. My nine year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week, and my mother-in-law told me that he would only live about ten years. I was devastated and would like to know if this is true. (17 Sep 2001)

102. My 16 daughter has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 11, and I've talked with two people who have siblings with type 1 diabetes who strongly believe that people with diabetes can be more forgetful and moodier, partly because of their highs and low blood sugars. Do you find this true? (17 Sep 2001)

103. My dietitian feels I should not be on medication at all given my diet and exercise, but my doctor feels otherwise. She also feels that if any medication, my doctor should have given me a different pill. Now I'm wondering about both opinions. I see my doctor in one month. I obviously plan on following my doctor's orders, but was I put on medication prematurely? (17 Sep 2001)

104. My 12 year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and, even though he is eating well, sometimes he still gets hungry between meals. What are some good snack ideas for him? He is tired of sugar-free Jell-O. (17 Sep 2001)

105. My son is playing freshman soccer this year, and the nurse told us she can't train, coach, etc. to give glucagon if needed, so we would have to be there. Who can administer glucagon should my husband and I not be able to attend? (17 Sep 2001)

106. My son is on a pump, is quite active, and he perspires quite a bit. He has great difficulty with loosening of the adhesive holding his set in place. Can you give us any advice? (17 Sep 2001)

107. I have had type 2 diabetes for two years, and my average blood sugar is 160-220 mg/dl [8.9-2.2 mmol/L]. I must lose weight, and I need to know what foods I should keep away from because I get very confused. (17 Sep 2001)

108. Both my husband and I have very strong family histories of type 1 diabetes, and our seven year old daughter has been showing all the classic signs along with vomiting and diarrhea. Her doctor says since she has diarrhea, it not diabetes and will only do a urine test, which was negative. Since the urine test is negative, should I still push for additional testing for diabetes? (17 Sep 2001)

109. My three year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, developed a distinct odor (sweeter smelling like almond extract or something close to it) in his urine and body sweat for about a week last month, even though he repeatedly tested negative for ketones and all blood sugars were normal. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? (17 Sep 2001)

110. My eight year old daughter was diagnosed with type1 diabetes about seven months ago, is on twice daily NPH and Humalog, and since then her blood sugar levels have been up and down (anywhere from 40-320 mg/dl [2.2-17.8 mmol/L]). What do you think is going on with her? (13 Sep 2001)

111. A friend was diagnosed with diabetes the day after a car accident. Two doctors have told him that diabetes can be brought on by trauma. Is this true? (13 Sep 2001)

112. My wife (aged 41 years) has type 1 diabetes, and since her diagnosis five years ago, her sex drive is virtually non-existent. Is this normal? If so, can you advise any help or publications on this subject? (13 Sep 2001)

113. Are there certain careers that people with diabetes can't do? (13 Sep 2001)

114. My 10 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for five years, he takes his own blood sugars, and he gives himself injections. At what age is it appropriate to leave him alone for a few hours? (13 Sep 2001)

115. My four year old son has polydipsia, polyuria and is losing weight. He recently had surgery and I asked the nurse to check his blood sugar (in case he was hypoglycemic from fasting so long), and his blood sugar was 174 mg/dl [9.7 mmol/L]. Could this be due to the pain or should I be concerned about diabetes? (13 Sep 2001)

116. My 11 year old daughter is always thirsty, very irritable at times, always sleepy, and hard to arouse at times. I checked her fasting blood sugar with a meter and it was 96 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L] and a two-hour postprandial sugar was 144 mg/dl [8 mmol/L]. Should I have further tests done on her? (13 Sep 2001)

117. Recent visits to new endocrinologist made me concerned that perhaps I do not have type 1 diabetes and do not need to be on insulin. I did test positive for the GAD antibody. Do you think it is possible that I could go on an oral medication? Can you please explain the relationships between PCOS and diabetes? (13 Sep 2001)

118. My 11 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for eight months and is using a pump with good control in general, but we struggle to bolus correctly for high fat meals. Any suggestions as to how to handle this situation? Can you please explain the effects of high fat on the body? (13 Sep 2001)

119. My nine year old daughter, who has been pumping for about five months, she prefers a popular infusion set which has a Teflon cannula, but, unfortunately, the infusion set only seems to work for two days. Early on the third day, her blood sugar is high and the infusion set must be changed. Hence we now change every two days. What happens fits the description of tunneling. Is it okay to keep using infusion sets with Teflon cannulas, despite this problem, as long as we switch before they fail? (13 Sep 2001)

120. I was wondering if there are any contraindications with the insulin pump and contact sports, if you disconnect. (12 Sep 2001)

121. My eight year old son has type 1 diabetes, and since school started this year, his new teacher has decided to use recess as a time for slower students to complete their work. My son hasn't been out to recess all week, and this is usually a time when he gets a nice aerobic workout. Does he have a right to recess? (12 Sep 2001)

122. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago. Why would her sugar blood level be so low when she ate at the right time and the right amount? (12 Sep 2001)

123. I had written to you before with a question about whether or not I have diabetes and, as you suggested, I consulted with the doctor, and gave him a copy of my blood sugars with a home monitor which have been 149-212mg/dl [8.3-11.8 mmol/L]. I am confused as they are treating me like a hypochondriac, and your initial answer said I should consult him. (12 Sep 2001)

124. My husband refuses to see a physician. He takes his insulin shot before each meal and thinks that is enough to take care of the diabetes. It has been more than three years since his last doctor visit. I am so worried because he has to travel a lot for his job. What can I do to take care of him better? (12 Sep 2001)

125. Is it possible for you to give me a sliding scale to use at school for my son who is on Humalog? Is there some kind of chart on this? (12 Sep 2001)

126. I have type 1 diabetes, and I am still in my honeymoon. I was just switched from NPH morning and night to Lantus at night, and it doesn't seem to be working very well. Are there some people out there who don't respond well to Lantus? (12 Sep 2001)

127. My daughter has type 1 diabetes, and a year and half ago she started suffering from bad headaches, which make her vomit, at least once a week, but her blood sugars are well within the normal range when these headaches occur. We have to go to the hospital and receive lots of drugs to get rid of the headache. We're just looking for any information. (12 Sep 2001)

128. I am so depressed. I feel good for a couple of hours then pow I am light headed, unstable, heart is racing and I have a terrible headache. I was told to use peanut butter in between meals. I am not a big carb eater, meat, high protein is what I usually ate until I fainted at work and found out I have hypoglycemia. My dietitian says no sweets and few carbs -- I am miserable! How do I get myself stable? (12 Sep 2001)

129. My 11 year old niece has had diabetes since she was eight, and she wants to be a normal kid, so she eats what she wants, knowing what it can do. She has been in the hospital several times. She is now wearing a pump and sometimes doesn't do that right either. What can we tell her that will get her to do this the right way and make her understand? (12 Sep 2001)

130. Within a short time, two different families have told about the death of their type 1, early-teen sons, apparently from the "Dead in Bed" syndrome. Is there is anything at all that I can do to help reduce the risk of this syndrome in my child? (11 Sep 2001)

131. I have a third grader in my class who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two weeks before school started (six weeks ago), and I would appreciate some advice about the impact that diabetes has on behavior in school. (11 Sep 2001)

132. My three year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago, and we have noticed that when we have salmon for dinner his 10:00 pm glucose is low after giving Humalog at about 7:30 pm. Are there any research data on the effects of salmon on people with type 1 diabetes? (11 Sep 2001)

133. Is type 1 diabetes linked to children's obesity? How do you keep an obese child with type 1 diabetes from being obese, with the diet he has to maintain? (11 Sep 2001)

134. My eight year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, and I know that a serving of Coco Puffs has approximately the same number of carbs as a serving of Cheerios or a couple of waffles. Is one better for her than the other and why? (11 Sep 2001)

135. I am starting to think that maybe I am depressed, but I don't want to talk to my doctor because I am afraid that he will put me on "happy pills" and I would rather not have that artificial happiness. However, I am really starting to feel like there is no other way to beat this. How, if at all, do anti-depressants affect diabetes? (11 Sep 2001)

136. I have two glucagon kits for my seven year old daughter (one for school, and one for home), and I live in Texas where it is not unusual for the temperatures to reach over 110 degrees. The school keeps the glucagon in the pantry and the air conditioner is turned off on the weekend. My question is how long are they good? Any causes for concern? Should I be storing the glucagon kits in the refrigerator? (11 Sep 2001)

137. I was wondering about the effects on blood sugars due to alcohol and other drugs. I have had different doctors give me different answers -- one said it raises them, and the others have said that it lowers them. So what really happens? (11 Sep 2001)

138. My husband is really careful watching his blood sugar, but with everything we do, he still has had five seizures in the last 18 months. Where can I learn more about seizures? (11 Sep 2001)

139. My 12 year old son is on 70/30 insulin and his blood sugars are usually 90-150 mg/dl [5-8.3 mmol/L], but at times it is out of control and post meals shoots up to 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L], especially if he has cold and cough. Is this normal? (11 Sep 2001)

140. If I stop my insulin, what will happen? (11 Sep 2001)

141. Please advise the procedure for disposal of used needles in the UK. (11 Sep 2001)

142. I am 22 years old, I was born with nesidioblastosis, I had to have half of my pancreas removed when I was a baby, and I developed diabetes at the age of 14. My 23 year old brother who also had nesidioblastosis, had 90% of his pancreas removed at birth, and he developed diabetes right away. What are the chances that my children or my brother's children will be born with nesidioblastosis? (11 Sep 2001)

143. My 28 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes since birth, and she recently went on the insulin pump, but finds that her 3:00 am blood sugar is always above 220 mg/dl [12.2 mmol/L], regardless of her bedtime reading. Any clues? (10 Sep 2001)

144. Over two years ago, my now 15 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and in the beginning, he took seven units of insulin per day, but now he takes two units per day. It is almost like his body is trying to cure itself since there have been times that they have taken him off of insulin because he became so hypo. Are there cases where the diabetes has ever just gone away? (10 Sep 2001)

145. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about nine months ago, and I've been trying to give up smoking. For 15 years, I smoked more than 20 a day, and, so far I've 'given them up' for over two-and-a-half months. However, I have a stressful job (club DJ) where I'm surrounded by smokers, and the odd cigarette helps me to get through moments of tension. What risks do I run by smoking an occasional cigarette (perhaps 10 a year, given my intake so far)? (10 Sep 2001)

146. Our seven year old has begun second grade. The school district's suggestion is that they use the gel as a substitute for glucagon, and then telephone 911. Do you recommend this? If not, please explain why. (10 Sep 2001)

147. My 14 year old daughter, who has type 1 diabetes and uses a pump, is a cheerleader, and her coach told her that she couldn't fly (FLY - sport where cheerleaders do basket tosses, pop-flies, are held up in the air by other cheerleaders called bases) because she is worried my daughter's infusion set might come out even though my daughter disconnects from her pump during workout. We feel that she should be able to fly as long as she checks her blood sugar before and after practice. (10 Sep 2001)

148. At our last visit to my twins' pediatric endocrinologist, their doctor reviewed their logbooks, but did not explain what he was looking for and did not ask us if there were any symptoms other than the low reading in the morning when no insulin was in their bodies, and ordered a long list of blood tests. Shouldn't he at least have asked me about other symptoms before considering the possibility that there were other diseases or complications? Should I get a second opinion or perhaps a new doctor? (10 Sep 2001)

149. How do you figure out how much to adjust each insulin ? Is it one unit for Humalog and two units for NPH, or is it a percentage of the total? (10 Sep 2001)

150. My six year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago and takes shots twice a day (mornings and evenings). I have several questions. (10 Sep 2001)

151. Recently, my two year old grandson as admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and had high blood sugars which the doctors thought it might just be a fluke. They ordered a GAD test which came back negative, so we thought he did not have diabetes, but his blood sugars still run high, and he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. What are the odds of the GAD test being negative and my grandson still having diabetes? (10 Sep 2001)

152. I am in the process of investigating the pricing policy of diabetes supplies as it relates to my insurance company and was wondering where to turn. My prescriptions are covered by a separate company not related to my medical coverage. When my son's prescription for strips is written six to seven times a day, I get charged a double premium since it is above the norm that was set by the insurance company. Is this kind of pricing considered discriminatory? (10 Sep 2001)

153. We have a 12 year old son who has had type 1 diabetes for two and a half years and has been on a pump with Humalog for about six months. Recently, he had an experience with lows that we have never had before. For over two hours our son would not respond, and his numbers remained precariously low. Don't blood sugars automatically rise after three hours once the Humalog is gone? (10 Sep 2001)

154. My 13 year old daughter, who has had diabetes for six years, is in the eighth grade, I would like for her to take care of her diabetes at school the same way she does sat home, and I have several questions. (10 Sep 2001)

155. My brother has become a father last week, and the baby has a blood sugar problem with his level which was down to zero. Do you know where I could find this specific information on the Internet? (6 Sep 2001)

156. I test my cat's blood glucose readings several times a day, and my Freestyle meter consistently produces much lower readings than my Bayer Elite XL for higher blood glucose values. The difference can be 100-200 points. Other pet owners have observed similar low readings from the Freestyle meter. Are there any reliable comparison studies on glucometer accuracy? (6 Sep 2001)

157. My husband and my daughter both have type 1 diabetes, and sometimes it is hard to keep faith that a cure will be found. Diabetes is a very profitable disease for both drug companies and physicians. If diabetes is cured won't many drug companies suffer great financial losses? What is your take on this issue? (6 Sep 2001)

158. I am 42, male, I have type 2 diabetes, and my blood sugar readings average about 120 mg/dl [6.6 mmol/L]). I am trying to body build as well as perform cardiovascular type exercise. Can you give me some advice on how to build muscle? Can you direct me to a website with information from bodybuilders who have diabetes? (6 Sep 2001)

159. With all the hoopla surrounding the question of embryonic stem cell transplants, I was wondering if because of the autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes, whether stem cell transplants would actually be "the cure". Although there would be new insulin producing cells, there would still be the underlying autoimmunity that would attack the new cells. Is this correct? (6 Sep 2001)

160. My two and half year old daughter and our friend's four and a half year old son have both had diabetes for two years, and my daughter rarely gets ketones whereas the four year old gets moderate to high ketones multiple times a month. Do some kids just get ketones more often than others? (6 Sep 2001)

161. Does diabetes make you mean if your sugar is to high? (6 Sep 2001)

162. I have had type 1 diabetes for 22 years, and recently switched from twice-daily NPH/Regular insulin to an evening Lantus injection with Humalog boluses based on carbohydrate intake. Three times now I have forgotten to take my evening Lantus injection. I know I forgot it as soon as I wake up the next morning, but I can't find any information on what to do next. The Lantus prescribing information does not address this situation. (6 Sep 2001)

163. I am a 19 year old college student who has type 1 diabetes, and was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis a year ago. I have had diabetes for six years, and I am still struggling with it, but I have decided to take care of myself. I have no insurance and limited income. How I can get some help with my medication? (6 Sep 2001)

164. I use the Optipen Pro, which is not available on the US market. My question is why not? (6 Sep 2001)

165. Both my husband and I have a strong family history of type 2 diabetes, and our five year old daughter was recently diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia. She is overweight for her age and also has elevated DHEA and cortisol levels. Does all this link together? Is this a form of diabetes?. Could you please give me some information on this? (6 Sep 2001)

166. My son's doctor advised that he may be entering the honeymoon, and although I have researched this phase, I have not been able to get any real medical data. Can you recommend any good reading on this subject? (6 Sep 2001)

167. My three year old daughter (diagnosed 11 months ago) will be receiving her insulin pump in a week or two, and we plan to send her to school for half a day. Where can we obtain information on schools in which there are children with diabetes? (5 Sep 2001)

168. I am a 16 years old girl, I have type 1 diabetes, and I have not gotten my period in about two months. I was thinking it might be because I've been waking up later in the summer, and it was maybe throwing my blood sugar levels off. Sometimes i get a small pain in my sides right by my stomach. What could be wrong? (5 Sep 2001)

169. My 11 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago, and we are going on holiday to Spain where measure the blood sugar level differently than in the UK. I need a conversion chart. (5 Sep 2001)

170. For last two years, my left eyeball is fixed and does not respond in dark light affecting my sight. My eyesight is 5/6 in my left eye and 6/6 in the right eye. My blood sugars are in the 200s mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] and I take two Glynase a day. I have gone through CAT scanning, eye pressure and vision tests, etc. Senior doctors have diagnosed this as an accommodation problem. Can my sight delay be cured? (5 Sep 2001)

171. Last year I had gestational diabetes, and I am always on the watch for type 2 diabetes for that reason. For the past week, I have had really dry eyes. I know some of the things that diabetes can do is affect the eyes. What symptoms for diabetes have to do with the eyes, if any? (5 Sep 2001)

172. My friend has type 2 diabetes, and for years he has not been able to get an erection ever or to have an orgasm at all. Is it normal for a man with diabetes to be completely impotent? Could there be other problems causing his inability to become erect? (5 Sep 2001)

173. I am 31 years old, have type 2 diabetes which is out of control, and I am experiencing numbness and burning in my feet. I know is common with neuropathy, but I also have blotchy discoloration (it sort of looks like small ruptured blood vessels). Could this indeed be neuropathy? (5 Sep 2001)

174. My 80 year old mother has been on insulin injections for her diabetes for just a couple of months, and since she started on insulin, they've changed it a handful of times, because of allergic reactions (swelling, rashes, itching). Her dermatologist and allergy specialists say they're not familiar with these kinds of reactions to insulin. Is there any information on this? (5 Sep 2001)

175. My three day old granddaughter was a month early and all's well except she has no body fat to maintain body temperature and her blood sugar is very high, which has been diagnosed as "transient diabetes". The doctors say she may grow out of it within 18 months, but I'm finding difficulty finding any information on this. (5 Sep 2001)

176. I have type 1 diabetes, I am not on any medications other then insulin (Ultralente and Humalog), and my blood sugar has been less than 60 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L] three times in the last two weeks. Each low was followed by bad abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Could the cramps and diarrhea have anything at all to do with the lows or was it just strange timing that it happened right after the lows? (5 Sep 2001)

177. My 83 year old mother had a blood glucose recently of 121 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], and she is now convinced she will die from diabetes because her doctor told her she was borderline. We cannot get her to eat a normal diet. Should she be concerned about this result? Do you feel that this is a case of "overkill"? (5 Sep 2001)

178. I have type 1 diabetes, and I love dry white and dry red wine, generally drink two to three glasses per day, but at least once a week, this jumps to three or four glasses. Are the long term effects of alcohol going to be more serious than for someone who doesn't have diabetes? (5 Sep 2001)

179. I'm a 35 year old female who had symptoms of diabetes for years and never put it all together. I recently had an IVP, and the tech said my kidneys weren't draining well. I don't know the results from my test yet, but after talking with other people who have diabetes, I feel like this is my problem. How long does a person have to have diabetes before kidney function is impaired? (4 Sep 2001)

180. I am a 26 year old female, my recent A1c was 7.4%, and I had a fasting glucose test done at the same time that was within the normal range. What does this mean if glucose is fine but the A1c is high? (4 Sep 2001)

181. I've had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, and for the past three years, I've worked harder at control resulting in a 7% A1c. Previously, I paid very little attention to my diabetes, and even though I don't know what my A1c actually was, it was it was probably over 10%. Will all those years of poor control inevitably catch up with me? (4 Sep 2001)

182. I am 23 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for 10 months, and I take premixed insulin. Is it okay to exercise, such as joining a gym? (4 Sep 2001)

183. My 14 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for five years and has been on an insulin pump for two years, will be playing football. How can he play football and still use the pump? Will he have to go back to injections during the football season, since it is a rough sport and his infusion set will probably be knocked off daily? Maybe he could wear the pump at night (insert it after practice is over) and take injections during the day? (4 Sep 2001)

184. For the last two months, my 10 year old son has been sick with headaches, feeling very tired, and not eating much. My husband gets insulin and has checked my son's blood sugars with one of the newest meters. His values are in the 40's-60's mg/dl [2.2-3.3 mmol/L], but the doctor said you can't always go by the meter. I am very worried! (4 Sep 2001)

185. I am 24 years old, I weigh 130 pounds, and I am currently on a sliding scale of Actrapid (lowest dosage 20 units per day) and 18 units of Insulatard at night. Could you please tell me if this insulin dose is okay? (4 Sep 2001)

186. Although there are no known cases of type 1 diabetes on either my husband's side of the family or mine, our two year old son was diagnosed with it a year ago. There are other autoimmune diseases that run in our family (Graves' Disease and Guillain Barre syndrome). Are these autoimmune diseases in any way connected to diabetes? (4 Sep 2001)

187. My 12 year old niece has had diabetes since she was four, and a friend of mine became a consultant for Herbalife International. Do you have any information about any child with diabetes having taken any Herbalife product and improving control? (4 Sep 2001)

188. A family friend has a new baby diagnosed with persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy (nesidioblastosis). What is the incidence in Caucasians? (4 Sep 2001)

189. I am hearing that C-peptide may be useful in reducing occurrence of some complications of diabetes, and I understand that C-peptide is a protein that our bodies make, but is removed in some way when producing injectable insulin. I have many questions. (4 Sep 2001)

190. Our 41 year old son lives in Texas, has type 1 diabetes, and needs to have a complete physical, but does not have a general physician who can evaluate his diabetes. Can you suggest a clinic that would give him a thorough physical with special emphasis on his diabetes? (4 Sep 2001)

191. My son has type 2 diabetes. How does the delivery of exercise programs influence the management and prevention of type 2 diabetes in children? (2 Sep 2001)

192. Are there any Latino or Latin American parents that could give advice on parenting children with diabetes type 2? (2 Sep 2001)

193. My doctor told me that, because I am overweight and my insulin level is elevated, he wants me to take Glucophage for two months and then go back to see him. I don't have diabetes as far as I know, and I have never had a high sugar level in my life. Is this treatment okay for me? (2 Sep 2001)

194. I've got type 2 diabetes, I am taking a premixed insulin, and I have really blurred vision, which I didn't have before I got diabetes. How long does it take to get my vision cleared? (2 Sep 2001)

195. I have type 2 diabetes, I recently had some steroid injections to reduce keloid scars, and, a few hours after the injections, my blood sugars were higher than usual. They are not going down despite medicine and exercise. Did these shots cause the elevation? How long does the medication stick around in the body? (2 Sep 2001)

196. I am 28 years old, am overweight, and I have had type 2 diabetes for about five years. I am on tablets and lately there have been complications with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I do not want to take tablets for the rest of my life, so, if I lost weight, do you think I would be able to refrain from taking tablets? (2 Sep 2001)

197. I am on an insulin pump, and three months ago, I was diagnosed with Graves' disease. Since then, my blood sugars have been constantly dropping and I have lowered my basal rates. My last thyroid level was still low, but once my thyroid stabilizes, will I need to raise my basal rates? (2 Sep 2001)

198. Since my son and daughter were born with nesidioblastosis, had pancreatectomies, and now have to take insulin, will they develop the same problems as any other person with diabetes? What are the chances of their children having nesidioblastosis? My daughter is married and hopes to one day have a family. (2 Sep 2001)

199. Our three year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 15 months and has several lows a week on Humalog and NPH mixtures. What is your opinion of using Lantus for a three year old child? (2 Sep 2001)

200. Our six year.old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, her levels are coming down, and she might be entering the honeymoon phase. Is there anything we can do to prolong this stage? Are there any vitamins, supplements or medications we should try? Will there be a cure soon? (2 Sep 2001)

201. My two year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago. Is is there a formula by which I can calculate the insulin (Humalog) dose that a child who weights X pounds and who eats Y grams of carbs needs in order to return to her pre-meal blood glucose level? (2 Sep 2001)

202. Will there ever be a cure? (1 Sep 2001)

203. My five year old daughter has had diabetes for about nine months, and her A1c for the last six months have been 6.6 and 6.5% with fructosamine levels of 308 and 301. She has had some lows over this time, and her doctor says that she is in good control. Is he correct? (1 Sep 2001)

204. I have four children with diabetes and suspect my fifth (18 months old) will have it, but at present he seems to be making too much insulin. He has a low energy level during the day, but sleeps very little, and my five year old, who has had diabetes since he was two, is the same way. Has there ever been any correlation to sleeplessness and blood sugar levels? (1 Sep 2001)

205. My 15 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for about three years, and we have never really been given a clear answer about specific cold medications he can use. I know you advise that most over-the-counter cold preparations are usually okay if they were used safely prior to diagnosis. Could you comment on the use of over-the-counter cold preparations? (1 Sep 2001)

206. My five year old grandson's blood sugars fluctuate badly sometimes, and his doctor says that it will not hurt him at this time, only when he is older. What is your feeling on this? (1 Sep 2001)

207. What hospitals and/or research institutions are the best [nationally and worldwide] for treating diabetic retinopathy? (1 Sep 2001)

208. Due to bad scheduling errors, I am due to take my three-hour GTT at 32 weeks gestation, and a nurse told me that it would be more likely that I will 'fail' as this test was supposed to be done at 28 weeks. Is this true? (1 Sep 2001)

209. My mother is taking Glucophage and has problems with extreme diarrhea. What can she do? (1 Sep 2001)

210. My husband has type 1 diabetes, and I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. While we realize the risk of having a child with type 1 diabetes because my husband has it, is the risk compounded by my hypothyroidism? What would you recommend concerning genetic counseling? (1 Sep 2001)

211. My husband was taking Starlix at the time we conceived our first child, and I have read that women should not take this during pregnancy and didn't know if it applied to the male also. Are there any concerns about the male taking a drug like this at the time of conception? (1 Sep 2001)

212. I saw my optician six weeks ago, and he said something about my eyes. I can't remember the exact terms, but he told me to go and see my doctor. You'll guess the rest. What bothers me is that the optician found something wrong with my eyes, but I haven't been treated for that. Should I remind my doctor, or just go back to the optician? (1 Sep 2001)

213. In the past, there were glucose strips on the market that could be evaluated by comparing the color of the strip following wipe-off of the blood to the printed color scale on the label. This was especially nice during a mountain bike tour. Where can I find the old fashioned visual (but reliable) blood glucose test strips? (1 Sep 2001)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts