From Tampa, Florida, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years, been on an insulin pump for four years, and three months ago, I was diagnosed with Graves' disease (treated with radioactive iodine). Since then, my blood sugars have been constantly dropping, and I have lowered my basal rates. My last thyroid level was still low, but once my thyroid stabilizes, will I need to raise my basal rates?

I anticipate there will be some increase in your basal rate once you transition from the low thyroid state to a normal replacement state. Hang with it. It is not unusual to have these swings after radioactive iodine therapy.

Posted to Thyroid