Question:

From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, I recently had some steroid injections to reduce keloid scars, and, a few hours after the injections, my blood sugars were higher than usual. They are not going down despite medicine and exercise. Did these shots cause the elevation? How long does the medication stick around in the body? I know oral steroids do this, but I wasn't sure about shots.

Answer:

The injectable steroids certainly raise your blood sugars for up to five days after injection. Therefore, it is reasonable to have a strategy to address this when it occurs.

[Editor's comment: See Your doctor advises using steroids (at the Diabetes Monitor) for more comments on similar situations. WWQ]

Posted to Other Medications