Question:

My son has type 2 diabetes. How does the delivery of exercise programs influence the management and prevention of type 2 diabetes in children?

Answer:

Let me start out by saying, your son's health care professional may have prescribed a healthy meal plan along with exercise and medication, if needed, as part of your his overall treatment plan. Secondly, regular exercise is one of the best ways to manage type 2 diabetes because, as your son increases his energy output with exercise, not only does he increase the fitness of his heart, lungs and muscles, but he also trains his body to use insulin more efficiently. In other words, exercise causes muscle and liver cells to become more sensitive to insulin. As a result, the cells can use or store glucose more effectively, thereby helping to lower blood glucose levels.Regular exercise can also reduce your son's risk for cardiovascular disease. It can also help make him feel better as well as control his weight.

PL

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Type 2