Question:

From Ireland:

I am 24 years old, weigh 130 pounds, and I am currently on a sliding scale of Actrapid (lowest dosage 20 units per day) and 18 units of Insulatard at night. Could you please tell me if this insulin dose is okay?

Answer:

The amount of insulin an individual takes varies a lot and depends on several factors, not just size. It sounds like you are not on a very large dose of insulin, but if your blood glucose readings are in the target range, that is the most important thing to consider. People who are very active may need smaller amounts than a less active person. If you were on a very big dose of insulin, you may need to look at why. A big dose for someone your weight may be upwards of 90 units or more per day.

JS