Question:

From Bakersfield, Vermont, USA:

I am a 26 year old female, my recent A1c was 7.4%, and I had a fasting glucose test done at the same time that was within the normal range. What does this mean if glucose is fine but the A1c is high?

Answer:

Remember that the hemoglobin A1c is a marker of your average daily blood sugar over a three month period of time. Your isolated fasting blood sugar is just one number that impacts your average blood sugar. Therefore, I would suggest that you monitor at other times besides the fasting. These would include two-hour postprandial and bedtime.