Question:

From Tateville, Kentucky, USA:

I am a 35 year old female who had symptoms of diabetes for years and never put it all together. I have sores on the feet and arms, constant thirst and blurring vision, and I have been feeling lethargic. I have been having pain in my upper right side, and had gout, so my doctor ordered an IVP, and the tech said my kidneys weren't draining well. I don't know the results from my test yet, but after talking with other people who have diabetes, I feel like this is my problem. How long does a person have to have diabetes before kidney function is impaired?

Answer:

The first step in the process is to determine whether or not you have diabetes. It is possible for you to have kidney problems and not have diabetes. Your physician should be able to answer the question with very basic lab work. The usual course of diabetes-related kidney disease involves a 10-15-year silent period, followed by protein in the urine, often high blood pressure, and finally a fall in kidney function.

[Editor's comment: See How to Protect your Kidneys (at the Diabetes Monitor) for some advice on protecting your kidneys. WWQ]