From Quebec, Canada:

My friend has type 2 diabetes, and for years he has not been able to get an erection ever or to have an orgasm at all. His libido is high and loves to cuddle and snuggle, but he would like to do more and just can't. He was given Viagra by his doctor and told that it would do something. He has not tried the Viagra yet because we have not been together for awhile (we live 100 miles apart) and so only see each other every other weekend or so. Is it normal for a man with diabetes to be completely impotent? Could there be other problems causing his inability to become erect?

It is common for patients with poorly controlled diabetes to have difficulty with erections. In addition, they can have problems reaching orgasm, although there may be other issues that may impact these problems. Underlying vascular disease, psychological issues, smoking, alcohol, other medications, and other medical conditions can all cause problems related to sexual dysfunction. I would have him check with his physician to learn more. If his primary physician can't help, I would ask for a referral to someone who can address this problem further.