From Beverly, New Jersey, USA:

I am a 16 years old girl, I have typeá1 diabetes, and I have not gotten my period in about two months. I was thinking it might be because I've been waking up later in the summer, and it was maybe throwing my blood sugar levels off. Sometimes I get a small pain in my sides right by my stomach. What could be wrong?

In general, being a bit late with your menstrual period may mean nothing and may have little to do with your diabetes. I don't think that "waking up later" is the root of this issue.

There are a variety of things that can lead to a missed period so you should meet with your family doctor or gynecologist. Other hormonal issues that can affect your period include thyroid imbalances. Thyroid problems occur commonly in people with typeá1 diabetes so this may need to be checked also.

Are you having intercourse (sex)? Could you be pregnant? These are important issues that need to be learned right away, especially if you are experiencing abdominal pain! Good diabetes control is essential for a healthy baby.