Question:

From Yonkers, New York, USA:

My three year old daughter (diagnosed 11 months ago) will be receiving her insulin pump in a week or two, and after we go through the training (hopefully everything goes well), my husband and I plan to send her to school for half a day. I just feel more comfortable sending her to a school where there are also children like her. The reason is not mainly due to discrimination (although it is also one of the factors) -- I feel that the school would be more medically ready and knowledgeable. illness. Where can we obtain information on schools in which there are children with diabetes? I've tried calling my local JDRF office, but no one seems to have information on this.

Answer:

If you are talking about schools in your area for who have children your daughter's age with diabetes, I would post this question on our message board. It probably will be difficult to find a pre-school in your area that has a three year old with a insulin pump since currently they are not used extensively in children your daughter's age. I would check with your pump representative and your daughter's diabetes team who would be more knowledgeable about this. Again, you might want post this question on our message board.

SS