From Pembroke Pines, Florida, USA:

My eight year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, and I know that a serving of Coco Puffs has approximately the same number of carbs as a serving of Cheerios or a couple of waffles. Is one better for her than the other and why?

Carb for carb, the numbers are approximately the same for the serving sizes listed. With regards to diabetes meal planning, any food can fit, but there probably needs to be a variety of foods worked into your daughter's meal plan, some with less "nutritional substance" (such as the Cocoa Puffs) and some with more substance (such as whole grain breads, fresh fruits, unsweetened cereals, etc). Keep in mind that your daughter should be able to work in any food that any other kid can and that the portions for the sweetened cereal may be less than for the unsweetened cereal. A good reference for meal planning is the Food Guide Pyramid. Congratulations on the good work!!