Question:

From Old Hickory, Tennessee, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago, we are still learning. We are counting carbs, and feed her a healthy number of carbs for dinner, but less than thirty minutes later, her blood sugar was she was at 54 mg/dl [3 mmol/L] Is there something wrong? Why would her sugar blood level be so low when she ate at the right time and the right amount?

Answer:

I expect that with subsequent visits, the diabetes center will teach you how to vary the insulin based on the glucose before the meal and the actual number of carbs eaten.For now, try giving the insulin after she eats. Tell them about the lows. I expect they will teach you more. You are on a good starting point.

DTQ-20010909051318A