Question:

From Red Lion, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 10 year old son has had typeá1 diabetes for five years, he takes his own blood sugars, and he gives himself injections. At what age is it appropriate to leave him alone for a few hours?

Answer:

That decision I believe is best made related to his responsibility level. I'm not sure I would base the decision on his diabetes, but rather on how confident you are that he can take care of himself in all areas responsibly and independently -- including his diabetes.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.