Question:

My son has had diabetes for five months, has been on an insulin pump for two months, is quite active, and he perspires quite a bit. He has great difficulty with loosening of the adhesive holding his set in place. We have tried Tegaderm and Kendall polyskin II, both with Mastisol applied prior to application of these tapes, but both of these will fail after exercise. The adhesive completely loses its tackiness. We have also tried applying various tapes along the edges of the site, but these don't appear to be beneficial.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me or if you can steer me in the direction of a website or other information with information regarding this problem.

Answer:

Your son is not alone. This seems to be a common problem. It sounds like you have tried many things, but let me give you a few other ideas:

1. Try a liquid adhesive such as Nu-Skin abound the area where the tape goes to increase adhesion.
  2. Try using an antiperspirant on the skin around the site (after the cannula is inserted).
  3. Also see: Products Available to help keep the infusion set on our skin at the Insulin Pumpers web site.

SS

DTQ-ONCEMSS20010906
Posted to Insulin Pumps