From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

Last year, my fasting glucose was 156 mg/dl [8.7 mmol/L] which I foolishly chose to ignore, and two weeks ago, a glucose tolerance test showed my initial fasting glucose to be 237 mg/dl [13.2 mmol/L]. Based on that, the test was not continued and my doctor put me on a diabetes pill. Now, careful carbohydrate and calorie counting combined with walking nightly on a treadmill my pre-meal blood checks are 62 to 122 mg/dl [3.4 to 6.8 mmol/L], with most numbers hovering below 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. Because I was often weak, dizzy and shaky, I was taken off the pill I was on, and put on a different pill.

My dietitian feels I should not be on medication at all given my diet and exercise, but my doctor feels otherwise. She also feels that if any medication, my doctor should have given me a different one. Now I'm wondering about both opinions. I see my doctor in one month. I obviously plan on following my doctor's orders, but was I put on medication prematurely?

I do not feel you were put on medication too early. I do agree that your first pill would be a good medication since it has minimal risk of hypoglycemia. It is not necessarily better to be on no medication, if the prescribed medication is doing well for you.

Posted to Type 2