Question:

My nine year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week, and my mother-in-law told me that he would only live about ten years. I was devastated and would like to know if this is true.

Answer:

That is not true. Children and adults with diabetes may live long and healthy lives. It is important to focus on controlling diabetes and having regular care by a physician trained to deal with diabetes in children. Decreasing the risk of developing long-term complications of diabetes by aggressively controlling blood sugars is essential to ensuring a long and healthy life.