My nine year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week, and my mother-in-law told me that he would only live about ten years. I was devastated and would like to know if this is true.

That is not true. Children and adults with diabetes may live long and healthy lives. It is important to focus on controlling diabetes and having regular care by a physician trained to deal with diabetes in children. Decreasing the risk of developing long-term complications of diabetes by aggressively controlling blood sugars is essential to ensuring a long and healthy life.