Question:

My sister-in-law has diabetes treated with insulin, and she has developed an infection in injection sites five different times in the last year. Most recently, the injection site in her stomach became so severely infected that it required surgery to cut out the infection, leaving an open incision requiring daily visits to the hospital to have the area packed with gauze and removed the following day and re-packed. She said they think the infection has been "wicked" out, and they expect to stitch up the incision. She said they told her that she has what is known as cellulitus. What can you tell me about this condition?

Answer:

Cellulitis is an inflammation of the cells, and it generally indicates acute spreading of the skin infection. The symptoms can be pain, redness, warmth, swelling, and the patient may develop a fever. Among those with diabetes, minor injuries or cracked skin can serve as a source of infection.

I have to say it is quite unusual to be develop this problem at injection sites. Is she cleansing the top of her insulin vial well? She may not want to reuse her syringes if she is more susceptible to infection. I wonder if her blood glucose values are too high. Often if blood glucose is out of control, healing is difficult and infections come easier. Usually antibiotics and local care such as that described in this case will cure the problem.

SH