Question:

From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 15 year daughter has type 1 diabetes, and one night my seven year old son asked to have his blood sugar checked which was 161mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L]. After dinner, I checked it again and it was 395 mg/dl [21.9 mmol/L], 20 minutes later it was 259 mg/dl [14.1 mmol/L], and his fasting the next morning was 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. His urine was negative for glucose and ketones. I am very worried and have called his pediatrician. Can a child's blood sugar go this high without having diabetes?

Answer:

If these are true blood sugars, they likely represent diabetes. Your son's pediatrician will likely confirm the blood tests with additional tests in the physician's office.