Question:

From Dundalk, Ontario, Canada:

My husband has type 2 diabetes and really watches what he eats and takes regular exercise, but recently, his blood sugar has shot up to 17 mmol/L [306 mg/dl] with a message to check the ketones. He is urinating about every half hour and is really thirsty all the time. How can we control the ketones?

Answer:

The ketones need to be addressed with better control of blood sugars. The frequent urination is the result of high blood sugars.

I would recommend that he see his physician as soon as possible about improving his blood sugar control.

[Editor's comment: If your husband did check, and indeed had ketones along with high blood sugars, he is great danger of impending DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] which is an extremely dangerous situation. He should be checked out immediately. SS]

[Editor's comment: And no matter whether he has ketones or not, if he can't get an appointment within a day or two, or adequate telephone advice to get things back to better control, he should be evaluated at an emergency room or urgent care center. WWQ]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA