From Dundalk, Ontario, Canada:

My husband has type 2 diabetes and really watches what he eats and takes regular exercise, but recently, his blood sugar has shot up to 17 mmol/L [306 mg/dl] with a message to check the ketones. He is urinating about every half hour and is really thirsty all the time. How can we control the ketones?

The ketones need to be addressed with better control of blood sugars. The frequent urination is the result of high blood sugars.

I would recommend that he see his physician as soon as possible about improving his blood sugar control.

[Editor's comment: If your husband did check, and indeed had ketones along with high blood sugars, he is great danger of impending DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] which is an extremely dangerous situation. He should be checked out immediately. SS]

[Editor's comment: And no matter whether he has ketones or not, if he can't get an appointment within a day or two, or adequate telephone advice to get things back to better control, he should be evaluated at an emergency room or urgent care center. WWQ]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA