Question:

From Bow, New Hampshire, USA:

My 10 year old son urinates frequently and is thirsty a lot, so I asked our physician to check him and his urine test did not show any high levels of sugar. They seemed to think it may be compulsive behavior on his part. If the sugar levels were low in the urine, should I bother asking them to do a blood test?

Answer:

As far as I can understand, your son's urine did not show any sugar content. Urine in normal people is always free from any sugar content, neither low nor high. If your son's urine did contain some sugar, then a fasting blood sugar is mandatory.