From Bakersfield, California, USA:

MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is being promoted as a treatment for type 2 diabetes, but I cannot find any basis for this claim. Is MSM of any benefit? Can it cause any problems?

MSM is an antioxidant and a derivative of DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide). A group in Oregon have been promoting this as a nutritional supplement for all manner of ailments including type 2 diabetes You will find quite a good review of this on Quackwatch. As far as I can tell, there have been no formal studies of this product in diabetes and none of the adult physicians in this center have heard of its use.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations